I'm back with a recipe for Chocolate Candy Cane Cup Cakes that I made for the Christmas Fayre at my daughter's school a few weeks back. My husband helped me put these together - this was his venture into baking but he thoroughly enjoyed it! The recipe started life as a Mint chocolate cupcakes recipe at goodtoknow.co.uk and I've tweaked it slightly. I found the mini candy canes in my local branch of Home Bargains but if you can't find them you could use something else suitably festive, a sprinkling of crushed Mint Aero chocolate or chopped Mint Matchmakers would work well too!
Chocolate Candy Cane Cup Cakes
IngredientsFor the cakes:
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 115g self-raising flour, sifted
- 35g cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 50g butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar
- Few drops peppermint extract
- Mini candy canes, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4. Line a cupcake tin with large paper cupcake cases.
- Place the butter and muscovado sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten egg, a little at a time, until smooth. Using a large metal spoon fold in the flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Divide the mixture between the cake cases.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until risen and just firm to the touch. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing; Beat the butter with 1-2 tsp boiling water and the icing sugar to make a smooth soft consistency. Add peppermint extract to taste. Pipe or swirl onto the cupcakes and decorate with the mini candy canes.